So like many other people across the world, we made a German inspired meal on Sunday in aid of enjoying the Eurovision song contest 2011.
My housemate was in charge of pork sausages, red cabbage and crispy bacon, and shallow fried chicken schnitzel. I took care of potato salad and apple strudel. For a quick make shift recipe it turned out pretty good.
4 green apples
1 cup demera sugar
1 tbls nutmeg
2 tbs cinnamon
¼ cup shaved almonds
3 sheets puff pastry
1 cup sultanas
¼ cup milk
Wash and core the apples. Grate one and thinly slice the remaining 3, placing all in a bowl. Add the sugar, spices, sultanas and almonds. Combine.
Spoon the mixture onto the puff pastry sheets and roll up, sealing at both ends. Beat the milk and egg together and brush the pastry until glistening. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Devour with vanilla ice cream!!
And for what its worth, here’s my top 3 pick;
- Moldova’s Zdob si Zub for their awesome ska song and pointy hair styles.
3. Greece with Loukas Yiorkas and co. for all being sexy men instead of a pre pubescent looking boy band.
..And more importantly the worst three;
1. Azerbaijan, for winning even though their song was totally shit and sung off key in the second instance.
2. Iceland, for their mysteriously absent horn section
3. UK, for holding up their performance solely with a muscly black guy partially wearing a shirt.
And finally the Australian commentator’s quote of the night; “Nothing says Eurovision like an old man jumping off a wind mill”